Stories

Meeting Type: 

The musical and technical team providing contemporary worship in the church. KMC's Worship Group are committed to providing the best music and media they are able to in order to help create the best environment for the church community to worship God together.

The Start On 20th March 1738, the Rev. John Wesley preached for the first time in the town from the steps of a house near the George Hotel. If we take this event as marking the starting point of Methodism in Knutsford, then the opening of the present church in 1865 followed an already-established history of over 120 years of Methodist-style worship in the town. The very same steps from which it is believed that Wesley preached are now preserved (presented to the Chapel in 1932) in front of the current church building. An attached plaque quotes an entry from Wesley's diary at the time. Thirty seven years later (April 1775) John Wesley, then aged 72, returned and preached again in Knutsford, this time in a room near the Cross Keys Inn. He recalled, "The house would by no means contain the congregation. The street too was filled; and even those who could not hear were silent. This is uncommon, especially in a town little accustomed to this strange way of preaching: those who cannot hear themselves usually taking care to hinder others from hearing." The influence of Methodism across the country actually evolved as a Society within the Church of England. The initially small band of Knutsford Methodists grew in the same way, its members continuing to attend the Parish Church for morning services (and Communion) but also holding their own separate meetings in hired rooms and private houses. In 1789 the group established its own Sunday School but it was not in fact until 1796, two year's after Wesley's death and twenty one years after his second visit to the town, that the Knutsford Society of Wesleyan Methodists, having resolved "To build a place of worship that should be both commodious and respectable", finally achieved their goal.

History

Articles for the history archive of the website

The Original Chapel

The chapel was built at the lower end of the Market Place, near the "Moor".

History

Articles for the history archive of the website

The New Chapel
 

History

Articles for the history archive of the website

The Opening of the New Chapel & Sunday School

History

Articles for the history archive of the website

Paul Wilson


Audio Recording of the original extempore prayer by Dr. S.M. Lockridge, unabridge and slightly longer than the version shown at church.

The text of the prayer is here.

Download: My King.mp3

If you like to listen on the move, why not download KMC sermons as podcasts.  This is what you need...

why do we worship in song? Let's start with Psalm 103, a song of David.

Insights

Articles which provide personal insights

Pages